18 October 2008

Oh, what do you do in the summertime?

Hey guys! It's been awhile... So life lately has been okay. Summer was tons of fun. Pageant was phenomenal, and it was great to have Sarah and Logan in town for a few weeks. It was definitely weird not to have everyone in the family in cast though... The rest of July and August kind of dragged on. I was anxious to get back to Provo and back into my own apartment.
In the middle of August, mom, Jon, Nic (my cousin), and I left town for Omaha and (eventually) Provo. We drove through the night to Nauvoo, getting there around 4:30 in the morning. We parked in the Stake Center parking lot and got about two hours of sleep in the car. We ended up walking around Old Nauvoo for part of the day, seeing the demonstrations and taking the little tours. It was really interesting, but Jon and Nic were frustrating. We got information about family members who used to live there, then left earlier than planned. We drove straight to Omaha, and it was nice to have a break there. We spent the night with Aunt Janele and their family. The next day, we saw the [tiny!] Winter Quarters Temple, and walked around the visitor's center and the cemetery there. We found (kind of) where one of our relatives is buried. That was a really neat experience. That night, mom, Aunt Janele, and I went out and got Mexican at a place called Hector's (I think?) - Yum! Late that night, we left Omaha and headed to Provo. We figured it would be better to drive through the night and get to Provo midday, and it worked great! Jon got tired after about an hour of driving, so I took over. Mom was completely out in the backseat, and Jon was snoring next to me. I had had a caffeinated soda, and was popping sugar candies in my mouth every 10 minutes, so I was wide awake (ask mom- she thinks I'm hilarious on caffeine...). I cranked the music and sang along, and all was well. Around 3 am, we drove through an awesome thunderstorm! It made me jealous that we don't get them like that in Provo. Anyway...It was great to finally get back to Provo and to my own apartment. I slept so well that night!
Summer ended well. It was great to be back with so many friends, to be able to have mom in Provo for a little bit, and to not have to stress about school for a little while. :)

No comments: